Aims and Strategy
The aims of Horris Hill are threefold:
To maintain the unique ethos amongst the school community of children and staff
- To encourage children to take responsibility for themselves and each other.
- To maintain an orderly, structured but energetic environment.
- To offer quick and individual support whenever it is needed, whether to right wrongs or to encourage creative action.
To prepare pupils well for entry to their senior school
- To deliver success in achieving first choice places at senior schools.
- To provide a rigorous and extensive academic, musical and artistic foundation.
- To offer a wide variety of sports and extra-curricular activities, so that every child has the opportunity to develop interests away from the classroom.
- To promote personal qualities that allows the children to get the best from each other and their surroundings.
To maintain the best possible facilities, routines and staffing
- To provide the highest possible standards of support for all boys, throughout the day and in each of the four boarding houses.
Chairman of the Governors
Horris Hill has been the setting for excellence in education for over 130 years, based on results we remain one of the top ten preparatory schools in the world. This unbroken tradition has built not only an exceptional reputation for the school, but also a powerful ethos and an unrivalled body of expertise that allows us to have the highest expectations for each boy met in a supportive and collaborative way. Quite simply, it is an environment where children thrive.
We believe that the period from 4 – 13 years of age are the most critical in any child's life. These are the years where the foundations of the adults they can become are laid. It is at this stage that the ideals, beliefs and values are developed which inform the character of the adult.
At such a crucial stage in their cultural development, we believe that Horris Hill provides the optimal setting where children will exercise their intellectual inquisitiveness, free to explore all avenues, building self-confidence and awareness in a safe and encouraging community.
We believe that academic success, and the staff-pupil relationships that underlie it, are most effectively created in an environment where pupils learn to take an uncommon level of responsibility for themselves, and staff have a wider web of care in which to teach. The relatively small size of the school enhances this, allowing every child to play a full part in school life and, in so doing, learns how
From its foundation, Horris Hill has also been able to offer boarding, and the provision that our boarding houses offers is available to boys if and when families would like to experience it. A variety of boarding options are available and we are proud to be caring for the different needs of many families, giving boys a most positive experience before they move to their senior schools.
Our belief in the benefits of the education that Horris Hill provides is as strong as ever and the school remains at the cutting edge of the prep school sector.